Thursday, 30 August 2012

Another Workshop

In June I went to Peterborough for another workshop with Leonie.  As always it was a day of fun, glitter and laughter. We made a few cards and then spent the afternoon on a larger frame project -- which was my favourite of the day.

We started with this dress card - which was the first time I'd used micro beads.  The pictures doesn't show it up very well, but the dress is covered in them and they are fab!

The base card was inked (sloppily in this instance!) at the edges and then stamped with the same pattern we used on the dress die cut.  We added some stickles and gold cosmic shimmer dots for a bit of glamour.

It was a fun card - and Gen (who couldn't make the workshop) liked it so much she recreated it for sister Suzy's birthday card later in the week.  I thought her card turned out better than mine - but I'm not bitter.  For this one we cut the dress using the Cricut (sorry, can't remember the cartridge) and used Spellbinders Elegant Posts to create the dress form.  

The next card was a bit of an 'ode to Sue Wilson'.

Some beautiful Spellbinders shapes (love the leaves and flourish) and a very elegant embossing folder from Couture Creations.  I mad a bit of a mess  (surprise!) stamping the sentiment as I didn't realise the coated card would take quite so long to dry! My second attempt was smudge free but I didn't have time to ink the edges of the shape.

We didn't have time to complete this card on the day so took the elements away as 'homework'.  It's a lovely collection of patterned papers cut, layered and matted on silver mirri card.  The elegant silhouette was covered in glossy accents, the little handbag also covered and a little rhinestone added to give it that designer touch.

The final project was this great frame collage - which you'll see inspired a few other projects this year!  It took most of the afternoon (and some homework time!) but was so much fun and it covered quite a few techniques.

We started with a blank cardboard frame, and two pieces of co-ordinating patterned paper.  We covered the frame with one of the sheets of paper and then added two colours of paint to create a crackle effect.  I chose a purple base colour and covered with a bright pink.  We used PVA glue to create the crackle effect - simply paint the first layer and let it dry, then paint on the cheap PVA glue and while it is still wet cover with the second colour.

Then we tore up random pieces of the second patterned paper and glued them on to the frame.  At this stage I have to admit I was not in love with the project AT ALL. But I trusted in Leonie and kept going!

After adding the paper we got the distress inks out and off we went.... Distressing all of the edges and stamping randomly over pretty much every inch of the paper. To add more interest I used acrylic paint and stamped a leaf pattern sort of climbing up the frame.

We added embellishments, created the back of the frame by stamping on card and painting through a stencil and this is my final product.

Everyone in the class started with different papers and the effects were great - and all so different.  You can see Leonie's amazing (and inspiring) version here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for dropping by!